GRACE BAPTIST CHURCH.
NOTES FOR CONSIDERATION BY PROSPECTIVE MEMBERS
Joining the church is not salvation or joining the Universal Church of Jesus Christ.
The Universal Church consists of all born again believers everywhere.
Joining the Church:
Why join Grace Baptist Church?
Baptist Churches generally believe and function on the principle congregational government. Members exercise their “voice” and have their input into the rule, running, direction and ministries of the church. It is the members who appoint church leaders and ministry leaders.
This is how members exercise their role as members of the local body of believers of Grace Baptist Church (Ro.12: 4&5)
1. Prospective members must first have been in attendance with the church for a period of 6 months before a membership application can be considered.
2. Fill in a membership application form.
3. An interview: This is simply to get personal clarification on what might be dry facts in an application form.
4. Each prospective member must first attend membership classes.
5. At the next members meeting, names of prospective members are brought to the church and voted on.
6. New members are officially welcomed into membership at the first communion service following the members meeting.
Members Classes must cover the following aspects:
1. What do Baptists believe? i.e. Baptist Principles.
2. Members responsibilities and privileges.
2.1 Why members meetings are important.
2.2 The financial affairs of the church.
2.3 Discovering your gifts and role in the church.
3. What is the vision of the church?
3.1 The importance of evangelism and missions
3.2 Why the study of the Bible is important
3.3 What are the current programmes and goals of the church.
4. Members meetings.
5. Church finances.
6. Discovering your gifts.
7. Church mission statement. i.e. To:
Glorify and love God.
Grow in Christ.
Give to our community.
Go with God – I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil.4:13)